java.lang.StrictMath and copyright

From: Eric Blake
Subject: java.lang.StrictMath and copyright
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:15:37 +0100

I noticed that classpath does not yet implement java.lang.StrictMath.  Sun's
specification refers to fdlibm as being the canonical implementation,
available at http://metalab.unc.edu/.  I downloaded that to see how hard it
would be to implement StrictMath in pure Java (although it would be a while
before I could get to that project, if someone else wants to start first).
All the files in that library carry this notice:

 * ====================================================
 * Copyright (C) 1993 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
 *
 * Developed at SunPro, a Sun Microsystems, Inc. business.
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
 * software is freely granted, provided that this notice
 * is preserved.

Am I correct that this is compatible with the GPL+exception, provided that
the copyright text above is included in the resulting implementation of
StrictMath?  Are there any other legal gotchas to be aware of before someone
includes a modified version of fdlibm in Classpath?

--
Eric Blake, Elixent, Castlemead, Lwr Castle St., Bristol BS1 3AG, UK
address@hidden   tel:+44(0)117 917 5611