Re: Kaffe's RMI library

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Kaffe's RMI library
Date: 21 Aug 2001 15:16:01 -0600

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Fisher <address@hidden> writes:

Paul>     KAFFE   Transvirtual Technologies, Inc. 2000-10-20
Paul>     Assigns Kaffe RMI Library and future changes submitted to the FSF.
Paul>     (Tim Wilkinson)

I spent some time today looking at the Kaffe RMI.
I looked in kaffe 1.0.6, which is the most recent source I found online.
If there's something newer, please tell me.

First, this code relies on some implementation classes in the `kaffe'
namespace.  I assume these are covered by the assignment.

For Classpath do we want to rename these?  We could put them in
gnu.java.rmi or gnu.classpath.java.rmi -- the former is how we do
similar things right now.  My preference would be the first, on the
basis of conformity.

Also the Kaffe RMI occasionally does this:

    throw new kaffe.util.NotImplemented();

This is a subclass of Error.
I think we could replace this either with Error("not implemented")
or with VirtualMachineError (though that is a stretch).

I haven't yet tried renaming and putting all the code into a build
tree.  I doubt I'll get to that today.

Tom