Re: getPrimitiveClass argument

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: getPrimitiveClass argument
Date: 27 Aug 2001 18:43:11 -0600

>>>>> "Patrick" == Patrick Doyle <address@hidden> writes:

Patrick> Why does VMClassLoader.getPrimitiveClass take the whole type
Patrick> name as its argument?  Wouldn't it be easier if it just took
Patrick> the type descriptor letter, since the VM already has to
Patrick> handle those, and you can make a switch statement out of
Patrick> them.

I don't know why it was done this way.  Bryce made the same suggestion
you made.  It seems reasonable to me.  I don't know what must be done
to make a change to the interface to the VM, but I'm in favor of this
one.

Patrick> How do people typically implement this method?

I don't know.  In libgcj we implement it via a special case in the
compiler.

Tom