Re: Ant (was Re: about RMI)

From: Takashi Okamoto
Subject: Re: Ant (was Re: about RMI)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 18:58:34 +0900

At Thu, 6 Sep 2001 06:29:52 -0700,
Anthony Green wrote:

> Okamoto-san wrote:
> > But it's distributed with Apache License though I wrote Gcj.java and
> > Kjc.java...
>
> I'd like to see your Gcj.java.

Oops, URL is incomplete. Here is right:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/compilers/

You'll find Gcj.java.

> What are you able to do with it?  Build to.class files?  Build
> natively?  Does Ant rely on the recursive build feature

Ant with gcj build .class files.
You just set following property to use gcj:

  <property name="build.compiler" value="gcj" />

You can use gcj instead of sun's javac(tools.jar), but gcj doesn't
support debug and encoding options.

> There's a lot of code being built with Ant these days.  Partly out of
> frustration, I have created a cvs tree with imports of important open source
> java packages (xerces, xalan, tomcat, regexp packages like gnu.regexp,
> jakarta-oro, and more) and autoconf/automake/libtool configury for building
> and testing .so files and executables generated for all of these.  See
> http://sources.redhat.com/rhug.

It sounds good.
But IMHO, native code lose most advantage for Java..
----
Takashi Okamoto