System vs Runtime SecurityManager

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: System vs Runtime SecurityManager
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:16:22 +0100

Hi,

Our vm/referemce/java/lang/Runtime.java defines the actual SecurityManager
for use in System.get/setSecurityManager(). The class has the following note
about why the securityManager field was moved from System to Runtime:

        /* This was moved to Runtime so that Runtime would no
         * longer trigger System's class initializer.  Runtime does
         * native library loading, and the System class initializer
         * requires native libraries to have been loaded.
         */

I don't completely understand how Runtime triggered the class initializer
of System. And why if this happens it would actually be a problem.

Are there any more of these subtle class initialization bootstrapping issues?

Thanks,

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore