Re: testing before a release

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: testing before a release
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 10:38:56 -0500

Hi all,

I am surprized to see the direction that this licensing discussion is taking. No body has yet addressed the CURRENT PROBLEM of the license of non-AWT code.

Let me refresh your memory: The current Classpath exception to the GPL allows proprietary code to include derivative work, WITHOUT any obligation to redistribute the Classpath source code, (and improvements made to it). It doesn't even force the distributor of the derived proprietary work to display some acknowledgement of the presence of Classpath code.

I have made the following proposal, which seems to have fallen into oblivion: License Classpath under the LGPL, as this license carries the intent of most (if not all) Classpath contributors, AND add an exception to the LGPL to eliminate the requirement that forces dynamic linking or providing relinkable modules.

As for the AWT, you can go with the plain GPL if you want, but this is, in my humble opinion, a dead-end. There's already other free software projects under licenses like the LGPL that provide things like "GTK" wrappers for Java. (See the following project: http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net ). Such code could easily serve as the basis to rewrite a new AWT under a much kinder license for applications.

I have serious reserves on an interpretation of the GPL that would say that it is ok to run a graphical proprietary application over a GPL'ed AWT. I also have the concern that the GPL on the AWT would impose itself on the underlying VM, which in turn would impose the GPL on linked JNI modules. This would invalidate my VM's exception for linking proprietary JNI code (and running proprietary applications). It's your choice: you're the copyright holders, but nobody has to use your code and help you improve it, either.

We all know that writing a complete class library for Java is a major undertaking; I don't see why you want to do the GNU project (Classpath/libgcj) in a way that will cause duplicate efforts, because of unacceptable licenses, and code contribution policies (copyright assignment).

As usual, you can continue to ignore my suggestions; I'm have now got used to it. Some of your leaders have their (partly hidden) political/commercial agendas. This is why there's such a license mess. Nobody cared about the LGPL license for Classpath before the libgcj merge. To solve the "linking" problem, they went with GPL + exception, but a careful inspection of it tell you that it is a permission to reuse contributed code without any sourc-code redistribution obkigation (very good for companies [I could say names here] to make money $$$ selling embedded stuff that was developped by others).

A note about copyright assignment: You know, one reason the Linux kernel is so successful is that: even Linus CANNOT sell the code under a proprietary license, because HE IS NOT the sole copyright holder. Because of this, the Linux kernel is de-facto a really Free piece of code. Nobody single person can take a proprietary advantage of it, unless ALL contributors agree.

Etienne

Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi,