Re: testing before a release

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: testing before a release
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:05:34 +1300

Etienne M. Gagnon wrote:

If I modify Classpath code to adapt Classpath for my VM, then Classpath
becomes GPLed, and thus my VM has to be GPLed as all applications running on it,
(e.g. I cannot run the SPEC benchmarks, javac, or any non GPL compatible app).

If the license were to be changed to GPL (and, I am of course strongly opposed to that) then it would only apply to the copy of the code in Classpath. If you already modified an earlier version under the LGPL or GPL+Exception, then that license continues to apply to your copy if you want it to.

Now, you will agree that if the exception can be carried over to derivative
works (as RMS seemd to think), then it is a huge hole.

So, no matter how you interpret the GPL exception, there IS a problem.
This is exactly why I am suggesting to change the license to LGPL + exception
that eliminates the dynamic link (or .obj) requirement.

So, do you think my proposal makes sense?

We've discussed this on address@hidden I tend to agree that the license could use clarification.

regards

Bryce.