First part of LICENSE file

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: First part of LICENSE file
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 00:19:12 +0100

Hi,

Here is the first part of the LICENSE file that I think we should include
with the following release if we change the license on the java.awt.* files
from LGPL to GPL. We might also want to include such a file if we reach some
other solution because it would clear up a lot of license confusion.

This includes only the first two parts. An introduction and an explanation
of which parts of Classpath are (will be) distributed under which license.
It is to late to write the following two parts about the implications of
these licenses for derived works and a short overview of past releases
with their licenses and why they changed.

I would really appreciate input on this document.
Please keep in mind that I am not a native English speaker.
And yes I would like to get any corrections on my barbaric use of English :)

Note that I still have not received an OK from all the primary authors
of the java.awt.* packages. Unless I get such an OK I am not changing the
copyright notice of those files. (Others are of course free to change it,
but I do not feel that I have the moral right to do this unless explicitly
told so by all authors.)

Thanks for all the discussion on the list about the license implications
that will make writing the next parts easier.

Good night,

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore