Re: testing before a release

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: testing before a release
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:35:27 -0500

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:57:30PM -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> Not necessarily opposed in principle, but the practical problems of coming
> up with a new license, with discussing it and getting everyone to agree,
> changing
> all the files to use it, etc, means it is not a practical course.
> Except for RMS,
> almost everyone can live with GPL+exception, and is not really interested in
> changing, except for fixing the AWT problem.

I think tha if people already take the time to debate the AWT license change,
they might
just as well solve the huge hole in the GPL+exception license by choosing a
license which simply
says what they intend.  If people want a "LGPL--" license, they should not use
a "GPL--"
license.  One the the big advantages of an "LGPL--" license is that it makes
the library
much friendlier to use within larger "LGPL" libraries (no problems with taking
a few
lines of code here and there, which is not possible under a "GPL--" license).

Of course, by (L)GPL-- I mean "(L)GPL+exception"

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon                    http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/