Re (3): testing before a release

From: reali
Subject: Re (3): testing before a release
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:15:16 +0100 (MET)

address@hidden writes:

> > This sounds very scary to me! If it would be the case, I should seriously
> > reconsider which libraries to use with my VM, as I'm not 100% sure yet that
> > I can release it with the GPL (the legal dept. of our university
> > has to say the last word)
> >
> > Can anybody prove or reject this assertion?
>
> The license modification is only for java.awt.*, and then only until
> (I hope) the problem is resolved via the gcc steering committee.
>
> As the AWT doesn't really work at the moment so I don't think this
> license should bother you because you wouldn't use that code anyway.

The fact it doesn't work yet is no excuse. It will work someday. And applets
use the AWT. Writing a VM that doesn't support applets makes no sense.

The VM loads the applets, and must (dynamically) link itself to those
classes and start their execution, so the VM has to use the applet class.

Etienne also had a good point about the Spec JVM benchmark. I had a quick
look at it:
* _202_jess imports the awt
* the whole suite must be run as an applet

So, if I'm not able to run the spec benchmarks using classpath, I cannot
publish any serious reseach done using it, as I cannot compare it with the
other VM implementations.

Is RMS perhaps trying to shoot classpath in the foot?

-Patrik
--
Patrik Reali, address@hidden
http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/reali/