Licensing concerns

From: Brad Cox
Subject: Licensing concerns
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:13:44 -0500

I'm a prospective classpath user, not a developer. I've some questions as to how the various licensing possibilities would impact my plans to use classpath.

I've a large security-intensive application written entirely in Java. I've been hoping that compiling the java to binary with gcj would (1) make it harder to penetrate security by decompiling the distribution jar with jad and (2) relieve the current installation hassles of deploying applicaions based on a separate JVM to nontechnical users.

The goal is to maintain the sources in java, but to build different versions for different markets: a high-security version based on hardware devices like the Java IButton, a medium-security version in which the java is compiled to binary with gcj, and a low-security version as a java jar file.

As I understand the issues from the discussions on this list, some of the proposals appear to grant FSF a license to the entire application if I ever distribute the medium-security classpath-based version. Which would obviously be immediately fatal to my plans.

Furthermore, the application is based on linkable java components I've written that my customer's applications call. These calls would eventually wind up calling classpath components. Would my customer's applications wind up getting stuck to the FSF tarball?

Finally, my application is a digital rights management system that addresses similar concerns as FSF (property rights for digital goods). The big difference is that it uses technology instead of lawyers, and it strikes an even balance between producer and consumer interests instead of only consumer issues as FSF does. Many other differences result from this difference in philosophy; too many to detail here. The java version of the system is online at http://virtualschool.edu/mybank.