Re: Re (3): testing before a release

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Re (3): testing before a release
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 00:41:42 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 09:29:44AM -0500, Etienne M. Gagnon wrote:

> Here is the clarification I suggest to add in (1-):
I would like to add a better explanation to our LICENSING file with the
way we interpret the exception. But I feel this should be OKed by RMS before
we distribute it though.

> Note that people who make modified versions of Classpath are not
> obligated to grant this special exception for their modified versions;
> it is their choice whether to do so. The GNU General Public License
> gives permission to release a modified version without this exception;
> this exception also makes it possible to release a modified version
> which carries forward this exception.

Should it be added that the original files do always keep this exception?
(Since you cannot change the copyright notice of someone else, only add
to it.) And that if the exception is not granted in modified versions that
the license automatically reverts to unmodified GPL?

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore