Re: Breaking VM integration interface

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: Breaking VM integration interface
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 14:50:56 +1300

Brian Jones wrote:

Is the point to avoid having to initialize String or do subsequent
method calls in native code to convert the string to a char array?
The change can be made, but get this, I think a small library (JNI)
should be provided that implements the new method and calls the old or
something similar provided documentation-wise.

The new form is simpler and cleaner for VMs to implement, and a tiny bit more efficient. Obviously we should document the change in the release notes or whatever. VMs can provide both forms of the function during the transition.

regards

Bryce.