Re: How mature are the Free Software efforts on Java?

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: How mature are the Free Software efforts on Java?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:32:53 +0100

Brian Jones wrote:

With the exception of the AWT, I would say the essential components
are mostly working.

But you have to stress that this means JDK 1.1 part of java spec. For the so called 'Java 2' a lot of things are missing. If you will start to think about full Graphics2D and Glyph support... I sometimes do not see any chances for cleanroom implementations of these. I'm afraid that java moves faster than open source community can chase it.

Which of course does not change a fact that gcj is wonderful piece of work and is very useful for many uses. But I don't think it is a viable alternative for somebody which does not like 'closed' state of JDK 1.4 beta3 and would like to use 'free' equivalent...

Artur