Re: Classpath website

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Classpath website
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:08:24 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 08:40:54PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance of wml (I saw in the README that questions should be
> send to /dev/null, but that didn't gave any meaningfull answer).

ARGH! I really should learn to read the documentation!
The doc/www.gnu.org/README says: At this time you may also need sed 3.02.80+
as well which is available at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/sed/
I had only GNU sed 3.02 installed (since that is the default Debian sed).

The strange thing is that when I did install sed 3.02.80 I also had to
change the include from include\/macros.wml to ..\/include\/macros.wml.
Did someone actually run make in the doc/www.gnu.org directory recently?

To help other people that don't want to install an alpha version of GNU sed
I would propose that we workaround the fact that some versions of sed don't
like \n in the RHS of the expression by using ^ as a temporary newline
marker and then use tr to change it into an actual newline.
I have attached a patch to do this. With this patch I am able to build
the web documentation using GNU sed 3.02 (and 3.02.80). OK to commit?

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore