Re: Re (2): testing before a release

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: Re (2): testing before a release
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:51:51 -0500

Mark Wielaard wrote:

So which part of my reasoning is wrong?
- I do not have to accept the GPL for (private) modifications since copyright
  law only covers copying and distribution.
  (might be different in some jurisdictions)

I sincerely do not know if private modifications are allowed under Copyright law. I would have to re-check the Canadian Copyright Act...

- Even if I accept the GPL then I can still make (private) modifications
  since the GPL gives me explicit permission to run the program without
  restrictions.

This depends whether linking is a modification or not. According to a private message RMS sent me a while ago, linking is a modification (or so he thought at that time).

May/Should I forward this discussion to RMS?

Yes, I think you should.  Please keep me on the CC list.

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon                    http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/