Re: <classpath>porting classpath to c# to get java <--> c#

From: Per Arneng
Subject: Re: <classpath>porting classpath to c# to get java <--> c#
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:50:24 +0100

Hi again!

Here is a list of advantages that i see:
1. Very much code allready written by the classpath project.
2. A lot^2 of code written fo the java api that could be ported with
  small modifications to c# if there was a java api for c#.
3. Many java programers have the java api in their spine
4. Probably very easy to port to c# .. minor modifications to the java sources

As allways there is a bad side on the coin but i think that the advantages
are greater and the effort to port should probably be little.

> So, if you just port java API, letter-for-letter, you will loose a lot
> of C# features (be it 'strength' or 'weakness' :). But if you will start
> to change, you will end up with something in between.

I think that if it should be ported at all it should be done with no
modification to the method names , parameters and souch. so that
ex:   area.getPoint()  will not change to  area.Point
things that can change however is implementation specific things like
for(int i=0;i<vector.size();i++)  ------->  foreach(int i in vector)
and so on...

I think that changes that would change method names return types
or parameter types should not be don at all.

> Maybe it would be just better to start separate project with aim of
> creating java-like core lib for C#. Reuse/hack out some code from
> classpath, but do not try to translate it directly. What do you think ?

Well reuse as much as possible. And change implementations where
it is needed as long as the api specification stays intact.

Just porting java.lang ,java.util would cover very large part
of other java sources.

best regards Per Arneng

Per Arneng <address@hidden>
Software Engineer Student