Re: State of AWT?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: State of AWT?
Date: 15 Jan 2002 21:00:05 -0700

>>>>> "John" == jewel  <address@hidden> writes:

John> I got stuck with the code that handled peers. I can't remember
John> specifics now, but basically it covered the order in which
John> addNotify and similar methods are called. There were issues with
John> inheritance.

Ok, from this and other comments, I'm not going to worry too much
about possibly introducing bugs.

John> I think what is needed is quick review of how the peer system is
John> meant to work, and from there things should flow easily.

This isn't exactly what you're talking about, but part of libgcj plan
was to simplify the peers by removing redundant methods.  We were also
planning to do event masking on the peer side (according to the code
in libgcj, but it also seems like a potentially good idea).  For the
time being I'm going to ignore this difference; I've added a couple
stub methods where I needed them.

I'll be checking in the first merge patch soon.  It doesn't cover
everything, but it does do a lot.  It merges various classes, and adds
a lot of the 1.2 stuff that was in libgcj but not Classpath (this code
is by no means complete, but it's a start).

My general plan is to merge what we've got, and then start trying the
existing Classpath peers with libgcj.

Tom