Re: New license wording

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: New license wording
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:38:57 +1300

Mark Wielaard wrote:

All license texts in Classpath and libgcj have now been updated
with the clarification.

Thanks Mark. Though I'm happy that the license has been improved (and happy that Etienne is now hopefully happy!), after re-reading it there is one thing I am a little concerned about:

"As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you
permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an
executable."

"An independent module is a module which is not derived from
or based on this library."

Couldn't any gcj application be thought of as being "based on" the libgcj library? How do we know precisely what the difference between being "based on" and simply "using" the library is?

regards

Bryce.