State of AWT

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: State of AWT
Date: 29 Jan 2002 20:30:26 -0700

I've done a lot of AWT merging and some debugging recently.

It turns out that the Gtk+ peers aren't really complete.  For
instance, it isn't possible to make an AWT checkbox due to a missing
native method.  Dialogs don't work.  There are Gtk errors in the file
dialog and one other place I forget right now.

The AWT code itself is in so-so shape.  Some stuff works, some stuff
doesn't.  GridBagLayout is completely missing (nice project for
someone who wants a moderately complex task), as is most of the
post-1.1 code.  We basically never use the tree lock, which I think is
a big problem since it will require a more-or-less complete code
audit.  (Assuming that the tree lock isn't one of those things that
Sun thought would be a good idea and then later decided not to use --
the docs aren't very clear.)

It's not as bad as it sounds though.  A lot of the hard work is done.
I've been doing my debugging by compiling the Gtk+ peers with gcj into
a shared library, and then running the TestAWT program with those
peers and the JNI native code.  Windows, events, buttons, and the
layout engines work well enough to let me see the bugs in the other
code.  This setup is noticeably faster than using the JDK (1.2.2); I
attribute that to the JDK's use of Motif.

Tom