Re: State of AWT

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: State of AWT
Date: 30 Jan 2002 11:51:13 -0700

>>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron M Renn <address@hidden> writes:

Aaron> I did not refer to the Sun implementation when I wrote the AWT
Aaron> so I don't know what they did wrt tree lock but it is probably
Aaron> something I just missed.

Same with the libgcj code.

Aaron> You'll find that GridBagLayout is not the only thing missing.
Aaron> There are a handful of others such as 1.0 events as well.

Some of the 1.0 event support came in via the merge.  Mostly it is
unimplemented.  My approach for now has been to make sure that the 1.0
methods and the like are available so that legacy code can at least
compile.  It won't run correctly though.

Aaron> As you surmise, there is little post-1.1 stuff in there, though
Aaron> I believe I tried to implement some 1.2 package stuff if it did
Aaron> not look too hard.

Bits of the Java2D code came in via the merge, too, but not very much.
There's plenty of code to write for anybody with a flair for geometry.

Aaron> I am very glad to hear that the code basically runs.  Hopefully
Aaron> we can iterate this up to a working AWT in reasonably decent
Aaron> period of time.

My hope is that we can have a reasonable (meaning "can run the games
from Yahoo" :-) AWT in time for gcj 3.2 (which I think goes into
freeze in August).  That may be wildly optimistic.

Tom