getting started with classpath

From: Phillip Morelock
Subject: getting started with classpath
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 22:16:40 -0700

Hello I'm seeking "getting started" help.

I have a gnawing interest in hacking on classpath, and I have read
a couple of times over the guide "hacking.html" that is linked from
the GNU site.  It's just, I'm having a simultaneous-learning-curve
experience, and I'm wondering if anyone on this list can push me
off in the right direction to eventually being able to contribute.

My "problems" or rather questions are as follows:
1.  I only have experience using one JDK/JRE (Sun's), although I
have used it on many platforms.  I noticed a strong linkage between
Classpath and (of course) the free JVM / compiler implementations.
That's cool, I get it, I am just not sure which components each
of these tools replace, and what their level of compliance / implementation
is.  Is there maybe a best order to learn about these tools in?
I would like to know Free Java and work on it even, but am not sure
how to start.

2.  How can I be certain I meet the "clean room" requirement?  I
have browsed through several of sun's classes several times in source
code form as included on my Mac OS X machine.  I know that I don't
remember any specifics, they were just instructive at the time.
Does this count?

3. If I write "pure java" implementations, do I need to worry much
about your notes on native code and VM integration?  I have not done
any JNI programming, but I am okay with learning.  I guess, a better
question is, what is the view of this project as far as native code,
VM integration, etc.?  I get the feeling by browsing the classes
that there isn't much native code in the non-GUI components.

Any "getting started" tips would be much appreciated -- it seems
like there's a lot to learn for someone coming from a pure Sun world
as far as the raw implementation goes.

Cheers
Phillip