Re: getting started with classpath

From: Andreas Rueckert
Subject: Re: getting started with classpath
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:41:05 +0200

Hi!

On Don, 25 Apr 2002 Brian Jones wrote:
> Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Maybe Brian or Anthony (or one of the other maintaienrs) should chip
> > in here's a menu of things that are on my list of stuff to do but
> > that I haven't got round to yet:
> >
> > - html and texinfo "getting started with Classpath and ORP" guide.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but don't you think it would be worth to add some
documentation on how to get started on a specific platform? I recently tried to
get classpath running on a Mandrake 8.1 distro. No luck so far, since compiling
automake, autoconfm glib etc. from scratch was not enough to get it working (I
don't recall the details, but at the moment the gtk libs seem to be the
problem). I don't know how complicated it is to use Windows, but I had quite
some problems with Linux.

> > - a very light webpage intro, an edited version of the above
> >
> > - add lot's of examples to the CNI section of the GCJ manual
> >
> > - improve the javadoc in the Classpath source code and create a
> >   texinfo manual using cp-tools texinfo doclet.
>
> Some good ideas here, but let's not exclude other JVMs such as SableVM
> or kissme.  A side question of mine at the moment is whether any of
> these support working with the AWT and native peer code other than
> GCJ.

Don't you think it would be better to focus on one JVM (at least from the
Classpath side) and get the AWT running there?

Ciao,
Andreas