Re: Classpath API javadoc

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Classpath API javadoc
Date: 28 Apr 2002 14:13:20 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 22:21, Phillip Morelock wrote:

> Resultant newbie question:  is it still "ok" to use sun's javadoc tool or is
> there an appropriate free tool?  How do "they" (or you) generally feel about
> using non-free tools in this context?  also, what is the state of such tool?

We only use proprietary tools to make sure we are compatible or
bootstrapping out of a proprietary environment. And there are some free
tools that can generate very nice documentation so please use them.

Back in October I played a bit with DoxyGen <http://www.doxygen.org/>
which is originally written for C++ but it does handle javadoc quite
nicely. Some results of running it on an old version of GNU Classpath
can be found at <http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/html/classes.html>.

Note that the images it generates are gifs which is frowned upon.
But even without the gifs it is nice to have that documentation.

I have not tried out the texidoclet for the Classpath Tools project yet.
Source can be found <http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/cp-tools/>
I don't know if there has been an official release yet.