Re: getting started with classpath

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: getting started with classpath
Date: 28 Apr 2002 14:36:32 +0200

Hi,

John already said it all, but let me just second his suggestions and add
some links to more documentation.

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 22:23, John Leuner wrote:
> > I would like to know Free Java and work on it even, but am not sure
> > how to start.
>
> Well, I suggest you start with compilers. Try out jikes (it's quite similar
> to javac in behaviour)
> and move on from there to kjc.
>
> Next try and compile classpath itself.
>
> After that, get one of the free JVMs and try to get it to work with
> Classpath.

Yes, please try and read what we have written now and if it is not clear
or doesn't work as advertised please yell. We would be very happy to get
the documentation in a better shape. And we probably don't explain
everything as clearly as could be because it was written when it already
worked for us.

Are the webpages clear enough <http://www.classpath.org/>?
Does the documentation given in the README, INSTALL and HACKING file
explain enough to get it up and running?
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/classpath/classpath/README?rev=HEAD
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/classpath/classpath/INSTALL?rev=HEAD
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/classpath/classpath/HACKING?rev=HEAD

Also note that starting with the latest release (0.03) is easier then
the ever changing CVS version. And most people use a GNU/Linux system.

You can also look at the instructions to get ORP going with classpath
<http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/doc/orp.html>
Or the JRVM
<http://people.debian.org/~jewel/jikes/jikesport/>
It would be nice to have similar documents for KissMe and SabeleVM
<http://kissme.sf.net/>
<http://sablevm.sf.net/>

> You can also try out gcj.

Note that Nic Ferrier cleaned up the documentation for the (almost
ready, any day/week now) 3.1 release. Which can be found at:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/>

> You might struggle a bit with the various VMs since they are
> at various stages of maturity and not always in sync with the
> ever-changing Classpath.
> Don't hesitate to ask the VM developers or Classpath developers
> questions about getting things to work.

Yes, it might be a bumpy ride but we are very interested in helping
getting it more smooth :) And it will be an interesting experience.