Re: Cp-tools Javadoc Overview (was Re: Classpath API javadoc)

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: Cp-tools Javadoc Overview (was Re: Classpath API javadoc)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:57:14 +0200

John Leuner wrote:
>- "Gjdoc" is an alternative javadoc driver. [...]

How do we compile and run this driver?

It's a bunch of Java classes, jikes path/*.java should
do for now. I think the package also includes a dirty
development Makefile.

It's fairly command line compatible to Sun Javadoc,
so you just do a

  favorite-vm gnu.tools.gjdoc.Main <options> <targets>

Or, with a small shell script prepared, you do

  gjdoc <options> <targets>

instead of

  javadoc <options> <targets>

Nice eh? But don't expect too much. It works, it's
pretty fast, and I already used it to squeeze the docs
out of Classpaths java.lang package ... but there are a
number of known and, as it hasn't been tested on
a large scale, probably millions of unknown bugs :(

What are its dependencies (versions too)?

Let me answer that in detail after I re-dived back into
the thing. It has been lying around for a couple of weeks
now.

From the top of my head:

This is a quiet simple, command-line driven 1.2 application,
no rocket science here. Needs java.lang, java.io and
java.util (all 1.2) and not much else. I've not compiled it
with Classpath lately, but there shouldn't be many obstacles.

Originally I wanted to build a parser using some LALR
generator, but it turned out to be way too slow. Then I tried
Regexps, but that was slow either. The current solution is
kind of a naive hand-written parser which assumes that the
source code already has been checked for syntactical
correctness, for example with javac/jikes. This solution
doesn't have any dependencies on third-party products,
it mainly operates on char[] arrays for performance reasons
and barely needs String, StringBuffer and StringTokenizer
working.

HTH

--Julian