Re: Compilation error - More Info

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Compilation error - More Info
Date: 29 Apr 2002 00:00:56 -0400

Stephen Crawley <address@hidden> writes:

> These compilation problems are an ongoing nuisance for Kissme Classpath
> builds.  Our build process does a merge of GNU classpath (respecting the
> standard.omit file) with the Kissme VM classes.  When someone checks in
> incomplete code, the Kissme Classpath compilation gives a bunch of errors
> to check.
>
> Unfortunately, we (John Leuner and myself) decided to track the recent
> changes to the Classpath VM API changes in the Kissme code base. This
> means we can't use the GNU Classpath 0.0.3 snapshot.  At least, not
> without lots of back tracking and wasted effort.

I'm glad you're tracking the recent changes in CVS.  This is a great
sort of sanity check of the ongoing work and allows you to speak up
early when things go bad.

> Anyhow, I ran into the latest javax.swing compilation problems myself. I
> tried leaving out javax.swing, but javax.accessibility depends on it.  I
> tried leaving out javax.accessibility as well, but something in java.awt
> depends on it. (I can't remember exactly ... but it is a public
> interface.)  Then I gave up.
>
> I don't know if Brian's additions to standard.omit fixes this.  But that's
> not the point.

Indeed, but since you were on the subject my compile with jikes is
working fine now.

> The real point is that people checking in changes need take more care.
> It is not that hard to do a cvs update and compile cycle after doing
> a batch of commits.

You are correct.  My first assumption has been to trust that
developers working on the project will try to do this.  The fault
however is probably mine with the recent commits from new developers
for not providing these clear instructions first hand and for not
actively following their work.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>