Aegis VM

From: Philip Fong
Subject: Aegis VM
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:44:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I am the developer of the Aegis VM (aegisvm.sourceforge.net), which
is a JNI-conforming C library released under LGPL.  Starting from the
next release, we are planning to use GNU Classpath as our class
library.  However, for classes that requires internal support from
the VM (e.g. java.lang.Class, java.lang.ClassLoader, etc etc), we
will supply our own independently developed version rather than
using those from GNU Classpath.  And of course this is easily done
by structuring the VM's bootstrap classloading path carefully.

My question is, is there any licensing complication here?  We won't
be packaging Classpath with our library, but merely loading it
into cour VM.  Is this considered "linking" with the class library,
and thereby making it necessary for us to change our license to
GPL?

Thanks for taking time to answer the question.  Thanks also for
making Classpath a reality.

Philip

*  Philip W. L. Fong
*  School of Computing Science
*  Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6
*  address@hidden
*  http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~pwfong/
*  (604)719-2333