Re: Bug in java.lang.Double

From: Max Gilead
Subject: Re: Bug in java.lang.Double
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 18:52:31 +0200

Brian Jones wrote:

Max Gilead <address@hidden> writes:

There is a bug in java.lang.Double class. The problem is that string ".3" is not recognized as a valid floating point value. According to Java language spec it should be.

Here is test class:
public class DoubleBug
   {
   public static void main(String[] args)
       {
       System.out.println(".3 -> "+ new Double(".3").doubleValue());
       }
   }

Sun's implementation prints:
.3 -> 0.3

Classpath 0.03 + ORP 1.0.9 prints:
No Java handlers found
Uncaught exception:
java.lang.NumberFormatException: from Java_java_lang_Double_doubleValueOf
   at DoubleBug.main
I tried this with my orp-1.0.9 and classpath 0.03 and could not
reproduce your error.

I compiled orp according to the instructions on our website in order
to use classpath natives.  I used the jikes 1.15b compiler which has
fixes for numerous float/double problems of some past versions.
orp-1.0.9/mains/orp/Linux/dbg/orp -classpath $CLASSPATH DoubleTest
.3 -> 0.3
I've been using exactly the same configuration as you (classpath 0.03, orp 1.09, jikes from CVS). I have switched from RedHat to Debian a week ago and now for some reason both Jikes and ORP refuses to compile so I'm unable to test it again right now. OTOH it seemed like Eric Blake knew about this bug. I'll test it again when I get rid of compilation problems and let you know about results.

One note: I have been using optimized ORP version with --with-jikes switch only. I doubt it makes any difference but...

Max