[Fwd: Re: Classpath docs]

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Classpath docs]
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 21:07:55 +0200

Julian Scheid wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > I checked in stubs for all java and javax subpackages.
> > But now that I run gjdoc it seems that it does not like the fact that
> > there are <title> tags in it. It gives errors like:
> > "WARNING: Invalid Unicode character 0x0 in javadoc markup has been
> > stripped" And it prints both the title and the first paragraph of the
> > package.html. Are my package.html file wrongly constructed?
>
> No, they are not. See
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/writingdoccomments/index.html#packagecomments
> for further details. The stylesheet ought to copy only the <body>
> contents, but currently it copies the full file. I'll fix that tonight.

It's not a problem with the XSLT sheet but with the Gjdoc engine
which should pass only the body contents to the Doclet API.
This makes matters worse.

The clean solution of this problem would require gjdoc to parse HTML,
something that wasn't necessary so far and needs to be implemented.

to be compatible with Javadoc, Gjdoc needs to parse package.html in the
long run. I've added a task (#962) in savannah.

Until that is implemented, a good workaround would be to leave out the
<head> section. Every major browser I know ignores superfluous <html> and
on both Javadoc and Gjdoc.

BTW: IMO this is a flaw in the javadoc spec. Why are you allowed, or
even encouraged, to specify a <title> when the title of the package
overview page is something like "Generated Documentation - Package
java.lang" anyway?

Julian