RE: initialization

From: Cierniak, Michal
Subject: RE: initialization
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 00:25:24 -0700

I believe that ORP is following the specification too.  The function
class_initialize1 (in common/base/orp.cpp) implements the 11 steps described
in 2.17.5 (we even have comments identifying each of the 11 steps).

Preloading does not initialize a class but it does prepare it (see JVMS
2.17.3).

Having said that, I'd like to point out that ORP treats standard libraries
in a special way.  Preloading of commonly used classes is one example.
There are other cases when ORP does something special for built-in
functionality, for instance the O3 JIT treats some methods (e.g.,
java.lang.Math.sqrt) as intrinsics and inlines them ignoring the
implementation provided by Classpath.

Michal