Re: Installation directory for shared libs

From: Alex Lau
Subject: Re: Installation directory for shared libs
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:53:49 -0500

John Leuner wrote:

Why are the classpath shared libraries installed into $prefix/lib/classpath ?

How do I configure the build to install them in $prefix/lib ?
This is due to the use of pkglib_LTLIBRARIES in Makefile.am.  We could
have used lib_LTLIBRARIES instead and you would get them in
$prefix/lib.  In this case we'd probably have to rename the libraries
to avoid name collisions.

What collisions do you anticipate?

What names would you suggest?

cp-javaio
cp-javalang ..

?
As far as I understand the debian way ( IMHO it is a good standard) of
handle the all the dynamic link library will be located at $prefix/lib,
for runtime resource it could be located at $prefix/lib/package.
Runtime resource could be lib.so also, which mean you may see some
lib.so at $prefix/lib/package/... , but that basically tell other developer that
this is a runtime module/plugins rather then a core library that you
may develop something else with/on or link against. So the real question
is will classpath able to provide a global lib.so package that all other JVM
can link against ??  VS libkissme-classpath, liborp-classpth etc.
On the other hand, the jave runtime lib ( as a  CLASSPATH lib ) they all
located at /usr/share/java/ . I don't know that all should change ( I consider the jar file as lib file in c ) but it is there now. May be classpath can use that
for the java package.

Alex