Re: [Classpath] AWT progress

From: John Leuner
Subject: Re: [Classpath] AWT progress
Date: 17 Jul 2002 18:53:46 +0100

> > Does FLEX have special requirements on the class library or it is it a
> > normal java application? Or is it something beyond that?
>
> It's a *research* Java-to-native compiler.  "Research" means that it isn't
> fast, doesn't care about separate compilation, and it's written to be a
> good platform for investigating Java *analysis* --- not necessarily to be
> the most practical day-to-day compiler.  But, as the fate of all Java
> research projects, it needs a runtime and class library implementation
> to be useful.  Currently it is built around the bytecode of Sun's JDK
> 1.1.x class libraries, with lots of hacks around the edges to make most
> java 1.2 apps run.  But Sun's license doesn't let us redistribute the
> class libraries (we have to make people hunt them down on Sun's site and
> extract them themselves), which is a pain in the neck.

The flex home page (and other pages) don't actually say that it's a java
source to native code compiler.

> > There probably were potential circular dependencies, but I think the old
> > kissme code was capable of locking up even without them.
>
> OK.  Flex handles circular dependencies in the class initializers
> properly; I was just hunting to see (in advance) if there were any special
> compilation issues I should be aware of.

The gcj people might have some thoughts on that. I don't think there is
anything special to worry about.

> > > DC Legion of Doom Japan spy quiche Moscow domestic disruption C4 SLBM
> > > planning Shoal Bay shortwave assassination early warning affinity group
> >
> > I didn't know "Japan" and "Moscow" were still dirty words.
>
> historical purposes; i couldn't bear to throw out anything from the
> original emacs 'spook' file. =)  it helps to put today's "dirty words"
> in context.
>  --scott
>
> South Africa TASS OVER THE HORIZON RADAR DNC Uzi ASW overthrow Sugar Grove
> Philadelphia planning Sudan MI5 Richard Tomlinson EZLN Kennedy C4 SLBM

As a South African it's a bit offensive to see "South Africa" in a list
of dirty words, probably the same for Sudanese. While I'm sure the
original purpose of these spook words was for a bit of fun and to
downplay the US's obsession with security, don't you think it's a bit
passe now? By grouping these words together you're effectively
increasing anti-US sentiment .. which almost nobody wants.

John Leuner