Re: GNU Crypto

From: Raif S. Naffah
Subject: Re: GNU Crypto
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:21:33 +1000

Adam Megacz wrote:
Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:

Eventually there will be a GNU Java JCA/JCE implementation using
these. By that time we will probably be delivering a comprehensive
GNU java platform.

Hrm, is there a reason why the GNU Crypto project hasn't simply
adopted the Bouncy Castle libraries (bouncycastle.org)? I've been
using them for six months now and found them to be very high quality.

GNU Crypto is *not* a JCA/JCE implementation. as is mentioned in its home page:

"...(GNU Crypto) aims at providing free, versatile, high-quality, and provably correct implementations of cryptographic primitives and tools in the Java programming language for use by programmers and end-users."

beacuse it does not always follow the published interfaces of Sun, the library includes a sub-package (gnu.crypto.jce.*) that contains Adapters for allowing plugging the appropriate algorithms into a JCA/JCE implementation as a Security Provider (GnuCrypto) --we ear-marked BouncyCastle, Cryptix and JDK1.4 JCA/JCE publishers for future integration.

(currently there are only Adapters for the *built-in* hash, PRNG and signature schemes. Adapters for the javax.security interfaces and classes will come later.)

cheers;
rsn