Re: [Classpath] Latest submission package to run commercial applications

From: C. Scott Ananian
Subject: Re: [Classpath] Latest submission package to run commercial applications and work loads
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:06:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Wu, Gansha wrote:

>   We have GNU Classpath submissions that make ORP/GNU Classpath run typical
> commercial applications and workloads
[...]
>              The submission includes bug fixes, performance enhancement,
> refactoring codes for
> better maintenance, and some new files. We have diff result with Changelog
> and a separate package
> for original files. The diff result is generated by:
>    cvs diff ?CN ?Cc ?Cw; and the baseline is GNU Classpath CVS snapshot of
> Jul. 24, 2002.

well, I can't claim to speak officially for classpath (at all!  I'm just a
lurker here) but I took a look at the attachment and here are my comments:

 - first, the actual content of the patches looks good & reasonable
   at first glance.  but it's very big!  probably this would be accepted
   more easily if it was broken down into several more manageable pieces,
   and fed to the list with more discussion of what each part was
   intended to do.  Changes for "refactoring" purposes are likely to
   be greeted with much more skepticism than performance improvements,
   which are likely to be greeted with more skepticism than obvious
   bug-fixes, which are still accepted less readily than simple
   comment or javadoc additions.  It might be best to start with
   the simple obvious stuff and work up to the more complicated changes.
 - I was very glad to see that each change in the diff apparently had
   a changelog entry.  But the diff itself was not a 'unified' diff
   (the -u option) which I believe is the standard.  I'm very used
   to reading unified diff patches, but the 'copied context' format
   took a little more effort to decipher.  [Also, I don't know if
   there's an automatic means to import changelog information included
   in-line with the diff.]
 - There should be changelog information associated with the new
   files, as well, no?
 - finally, I believe that classpath requires a formal copyright
   assignment in order for them to incorporate these changes;
   especially the additions of entire files.  I'm sure one of
   the 'real' classpath maintainers will be in touch to work
   this out.

Hope my initial comments have been helpful while you're waiting for a more
'official' word!
 --scott

Chechnya Clinton Blair domestic disruption ASW ammunition algorithm
cryptographic Bush AP non-violent protest jihad planning Albanian
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )