State of AWT and SWING

From: Tisserand Patrice
Subject: State of AWT and SWING
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:33:45 +0200

Hi,
I'm currently working on software that uses Swing for its graphical
front-end.
I would like to break dependency between this software and a non-free
JVM.
GNU classpath will provide an implementation of Swing, which is still
under developpement.

1\ I have try to compile and execute a simple AWT test with gcj-3.1.1
and orp-1.0.10.
When trying my testAWT program I get only the following:
returned
end

And then the program just hangs.

2\ I have try to compile and execute a simple Swing program with
gcj-3.1.1 and orp-1.0.10
When trying my test Swing program I get the following error message:
returned
end
Uncaught exception:
java.lang.Error: not implemented
        at javax/swing/UIDefaults.put
        at javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicDefaults.<init>
        at javax/swing/plaf/metal/MetalLookAndFeel.getDefaults
        at javax/swing/UIManager.getDefaults
        at javax/swing/UIManager.getUI
        at javax/swing/JPanel.updateUI
        at javax/swing/JPanel.<init>
        at javax/swing/JPanel.<init>
        at javax/swing/JRootPane.createGlassPane
        at javax/swing/JRootPane.getGlassPane
        at javax/swing/JRootPane.<init>
        at javax/swing/JFrame.createRootPane
        at javax/swing/JFrame.getRootPane
        at javax/swing/JFrame.frameInit
        at javax/swing/JFrame.<init>
        at TestSwing.<init>
        at TestSwing.main

So I would like to know with which compiler and JVM, can I test AWT and
Swing implementation.

Patrice Tisserand --- email:mailto:address@hidden
IRCAM 1 place Stravinsky 75004 Paris FRANCE