Re: acceptable reference material for developers

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: acceptable reference material for developers
Date: 27 Aug 2002 10:59:53 -0400

Emile Snyder <address@hidden> writes:

> I've read the HACKING document on the classpath web site, and understand
> that I must not look at the Sun implementations of the Java libraries if
> I want to contribute code to the classpath project.  I wanted to be
> clear on whether studying the Sun API documentation is allowed.

Yes you may look at the API (Javadoc), unless otherwise stated by Sun.

> Also, the doc mentions that FSF requires paperwork from programmers
> employers explicitly disclaiming any ownership in the employee's work on
> classpath.  Is there a sample letter around to be used?  Who has the
> authority in a company to sign such a letter; immediate supervisor?

It's a copyright disclaimment paper and at most companies anyone at
the VP level or higher can sign such a document.  You may not even
need it if upon the advise of an attorney you can know with a fair
degree of certainty that the company makes no claims to works you
produce on non-company time using non-company equipment.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>