Re: [Classpath] Request for change to vm/reference/java/lang/Thread.java

From: C. Scott Ananian
Subject: Re: [Classpath] Request for change to vm/reference/java/lang/Thread.java
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:01:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Stephen Crawley wrote:

> However, a problem arises in the way that Kissme creates the first
> Thread object.  Basically, we want to just use a regular constructor
> on the Thread class.  The problem is that 4 argument constructor that
> all the others chain to assumes that it can find the current Thread
> and copy its priority, thread group and daemon flag.  However, when
> we're creating the first Thread, currentThread() returns null, and
> a NullPointerException follows quickly.

Hmm.  In my project, I'm creating the Thread from JNI code, so its no
trouble to create an uninitialized thread object, set it so that it is the
value returned by currentThread, and *then* call the thread constructor.
But that said, I certainly wouldn't object to seeing classpath handle
the situation more gracefully.
  --scott

affinity group SEAL Team 6 Kojarena genetic FBI Cheney Leitrim United Nations
early warning Attache Sabana Seca cracking atomic Yeltsin AK-47 quiche
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )