code indentation

From: Giannis Georgalis
Subject: code indentation
Date: 27 Sep 2002 22:26:14 +0300

Thank you all very much for your accurate answers on my
serialVersionUID question.

YASQ (Yet Another Short Question) about code indentation;

I've read some old archives on the list about the indentation of the
code, so I came up with the following java-mode-hook in my .emacs:

(add-hook 'java-mode-hook
          (function (lambda()
                      (c-set-style "GNU")
                      (c-set-offset 'inline-open 0)
                      (setq c-basic-offset 2))))

But ... I've noticed major differences from this indentation among
different implementations of classes. Is the above ok for classpath?
Additionally, as I've read the GNU coding standards, a function (method)
definition should be like:

public static void
sampleMethod(String a)
{

For the only reason that we should be able to "jump" to the function by
a search-regexp(^sampleMethod). Provided that c/etags exist as a tool
for that specific reason, I'm asking permition to change(*) the style to:

public static void sampleMethod(String a)
{

which I consider more "consistent" (IMHO).

(*) to java.io.* classes that I'm working.

Thank you,
Giannis

PS. I'll be back ;-)