Re: java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream patch

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream patch
Date: 22 Oct 2002 01:08:13 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 21:50, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Mark> +          //add a padding byte,
> Mark> +          //it's necessary when using native zlib
> Mark> +          ++len;
>
> Mark> When is this needed?
>
> I wonder if it is related to this comment in libgcj:
>
>       /* Using the no_header option, zlib requires an extra padding byte at
> the
>       end of the stream in order to successfully complete decompression (see
>       zlib/contrib/minizip/unzip.c). We don't do this, so can end up with a
>       Z_BUF_ERROR at the end of a stream when zlib has completed inflation
>       and there's no more input. Thats not a problem. */

Thanks, that seems to be the situation when this code would be
triggered. But this shouldn't be a problem with our java.util.zip
(jazzlib) implementation since that doesn't use zlib.

What is the experience of other VM developers? Do you use jazzlib or
some form of native zlib java.util.zip?

If only we had a way to more easily share CNI and JNI code... Any VMs
(except libgcj) that support CNI btw? I heard that Kaffe once had
interoperability with gcj compiled native code but that it was not kept
up to date with the current gcj.

Thanks,