Re: Status update and some questions/suggestions about remaining Intel/O

From: Andy Walter
Subject: Re: Status update and some questions/suggestions about remaining Intel/Orp patches
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:41:10 +0200

Hi,

On Monday 28 October 2002 08:52, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> > To me, avoiding native methods as often as possible is
> > preferable as well.
>
> I agree. I'm not using any JNI in my VM for the Classpath native methods
> (although my VM does support it [but it isn't completely done yet]), for
> one simple reason: I want my VM to be runnable in a sandbox, and native
> code requires full trust.

But this is a general problem of native code. I don't see how using anything
else than JNI for native methods can help.

> Mark was talking specifically about ObjectInput-/ObjectOutputStream and
> they require some sort of reflection anyway.

I should have read more carefully. You're perfectly right.

> The current implementation
> uses JNI reflection, but IMHO it would be preferrable to do the
> reflection from Java. I think this has the potential to be faster too.

I agree as well. There is no need for native code there.

Cheers,

        Andy.

--
aicas GmbH * Hoepfner Burg                       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Haid-und-Neu-Straße 18 * 76131 Karlsruhe         \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail