Re: I wish to help

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: I wish to help
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:50:48 +0100 (CET)

On 31 Oct 2002, Brian Jones wrote:

> So I'm pretty much of the opinion that Classpath's AWT just needs a
> little TLC from someone dedicated to it for a while to make it
> useable.  Having JVMs without major threading issues will aid this
> development.  This is why I would personally develop the peers against
> Sun's VM, if I had the time to devote to it.
>
> Acunia has almost officially made this offer, but because it would be
> unlikely for me to get contributors to assign their copyright on
> changes back to this corporation that may not be so benevolent in the
> future (no guarantees) I'm inclined to believe we must continue
> working on the current implementation.

Although The Boss is now back, I haven't yet cornered him to double-check
this. However I'm sure that to get into our main source tree, code would
need to be assigned to us, or at least released under a licence no more
restrictive than BSD: anything else would need to be "quarantined" to
prevent it from leaking into a BSD'd or binary-only product. IOW it would
be an "external library" from out POV.

> It remains a possibility that if Acunia's current AWT is dual licensed
> in the manner Chris described that parts of this work could be
> integrated as an external library to provide optional functionality in
> Classpath's AWT.  So inspection of their implementation would be
> possible but no verbatim copying allowed into _our_ classes.  We could
> create a separate directory to place their library with an appropriate
> README indicating this is not part of Classpath and when we compile we
> could link this library without trouble.  I hope this explains what is
> meant by external library in reference to FSF projects.

But if that is all you intend to do, isn't the current (BSD) licence good
enough?

Regards

--

Chris Gray