Re: mauve results posted nightly

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: mauve results posted nightly
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:24:24 -0500

Brian Jones wrote:
Stuart Ballard <address@hidden> writes:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

If this web page is correct, GIF will be free next year.

It also mentions libungif which produces patent-free uncompressed gifs.

apt-cache search led me to libungif-bin (debian package, may use other names elsewhere) which includes tools to convert "normal" gifs to patent-free ones.

A 1x1.gif produced by one of these libungif-bin programs should be safe. So far I haven't been able to figure out which, if any, of them is capable of producing a 1x1 pixel gif from scratch where the single pixel is transparent, but presumably something there is. The documentation seems a little lacking, and the choices of programs to include seems very random...

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer
NetReach - Internet Solutions