Re: mauve results posted nightly

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: mauve results posted nightly
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:08:46 -0500

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi,

Oh, so you can run japize with kissme+classpath? (japize doesn't use reflection at all any more, and I think mostly even avoids the situations where jode would use it as a fallback...)

I just tried that and it seems to run with Kissme.
But gij gave the following exception:

(exception snipped since you seem to have a good handle on figuring that one out...)

That's great news: I'll add to the readme in the next version that Kissme is able to run Japize in at least a limited way (ie not over the whole API).

The only cotcha with compiling is the referencee to
org.omg.CORBA.BAD_OPERATION in JapiSerialize which seems to be save to
comment out.

In fact it's "safe" to comment out the whole of JapiSerialize: it's entirely independent from the rest of Japitools and in fact written by a different person :). Of course, ideally you want to be able to *use* serialize as well as japize, and you'll need to compile it for that :)

Compiling with gcj to a native executable failed since the jode jar
references some javax.swing classes. Will try to get the sources of jode
later to see if they can be stripped out easily since they don't seem to
be used during runtime anyway.

I know of no reason that shouldn't be possible. I've been intending to try to strip down jode to only the subset I need anyway: I only use the jode.bytecode package directly as far as I can remember, so jode.bytecode plus its dependencies should be all that's needed.

Kissme did throw a OutOfMemoryError when trying all the java. packages.
But taking a smaller subset seems to work fine. Do you have a japize
example classes/arguments/output file to which I can compare my results?

An OutOfMemoryError might indicate a problem in weak references, since Jode apparently relies on them to release classes (it has no explicit way to completely unload a class). Alternatively it might indicate a memory leak in GZipOutputStream - you could rule that out by specifying the "unzip" option. Those are, of course, just the first things that come to mind - it could be something entirely different.

You can find a whole bunch of example japi files in http://rainbow.netreach.net/~sballard/japi/htmlout/. The most interesting/useful for comparison is probably classpath.japi.gz which is the nightly one I download from Brian.

The only one I know for sure how to generate is jdk11.japi.gz which is generated by: $ japize as jdk11 packages /path/to/classes.zip +java -java.awt.peer -java.text.resources
(that's all one line, of course).

The other jdkxx.japi.gz files there are ones I've accumulated over time and updated to the latest file format version using japifix. They should be identical to what you'd get if you run japize with appropriate arguments against the JDK, but I can't tell you what those arguments are, except for 1.1. To be absolutely sure you're getting the right results, your best bet is to compare against using the JDK to run the same thing...

Brian, what are the arguments you're giving Japize to generate the nightly classpath.japi.gz file, and to generate the jdkxx.japi.gz files?

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer
NetReach - Internet Solutions