Re: Contributions of work on Jikes RVM with GNU Classpath

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Contributions of work on Jikes RVM with GNU Classpath
Date: 21 Nov 2002 18:50:42 -0700

>> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 17:19, Julian Dolby wrote:

Mark> Impressive! I really look forward to running Eclipse using a
Mark> free VM and the GNU Classpath libraries.

Me too.  Now we just have to shake out the libgcj bugs to get it to
run there :-)

>> 3) The one change we needed to make that we cannot---for legal
>> reasons---easily contribute is to javax.naming; while running
>> Eclipse we came across incompletenesses in the GNU Classpath code
>> base, which we worked around by merging the javax.naming code from
>> GCJ into the GNU Classpath code base.

This is perfectly fine.

>> We do not want to suck the GCJ code base into IBM and then send
>> it back to GNU Classpath.  This would be highly problematic for us
>> legally.  Ideally, someone at GNU Classpath can merge these code
>> bases independently for us.

I don't understand the legal problem here.  In any case it doesn't
matter.  The "merge" in this case is just a `cp'; anybody with commit
access can do it.  I haven't since I've been hoping Mark would write
the javadoc, as he points out...

>> We would be happy to contribute our changes in any manner people at
>> GNU Classpath find convenient.  We can send you diffs in any format or
>> simply a tarball of the GNU Classpath tree we have here.  Please let
>> me know what you would find most useful.

Mark> It is probably a good idea to make a new release of GNU
Mark> Classpath first (say in the next two weeks). So that we have a
Mark> clear point from which to start merging in the changes.

Are the changes made against a snapshot of the tree without the CVS
directories?  I think the very best way to get the changes would be a
sequence of `cvs diff's, one per logical change.

Mark> The best way to do the actual merge/patches is by trying to
Mark> identify independent changes and post them on the classpath
Mark> mailinglist so people can discuss them. Just sending a big
Mark> tarball or one gaint patch/diff makes it hard to analyse what
Mark> changed and for what reason.

Yup.

Mark> Brian Jones can also give one of you CVS write access to the GNU
Mark> Classpath tree if you want.

I'd like to see this too.  That way once a patch has been discussed
someone from the JRVM team can just check it in.

Tom