patch 620

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: patch 620
Date: 27 Nov 2002 17:29:26 -0700

Anthony, patch 620 (you submitted it a few weeks ago) restores
intern()ing of Locale fields.  Is this important for performance?
Do you have a particular case where the current code was a problem?

According to the ChangeLog I took out some interning code last year.
I don't remember why I might have done this.  (Maybe someone else did
and it came in via a merge; it isn't clear.)

I'm a little reluctant to restore this without understanding the
rationale on both sides...

Tom