Re: Jikes RVM 2.2.0 now available

From: Michael Hind
Subject: Re: Jikes RVM 2.2.0 now available
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 21:24:15 -0500

> I think we'll have these completed soon enough then.

Great.

> When complete, is there anything complicated to try this release with
Classpath using
> more of the excluded packages?

We'll have to make a few changes to the release to switch over (Julian
knows the details), but I think they are pretty simple.   We'll probably
make a new release once we switch over completely.

Mike

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Michael Hind, Manager, Dynamic Optimization Group, JalapeƱo Project

IBM Watson Research Center
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/h/hind
address@hidden, 914 784-7589, tie: 863-7589
Jikes RVM open source release:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm

                      Brian Jones
                      <address@hidden>            To:       Michael
Hind/Watson/address@hidden
                      Sent by:                 cc:       address@hidden, Julian
Dolby/Watson/address@hidden
                      address@hidden              Subject:  Re: Jikes RVM 2.2.0
now available

                      01/05/2003 07:42
                      PM

Michael Hind <address@hidden> writes:

> I thought this list might be interested in the announcement below,
> particularily the first highlight.
>
> As mentioned previously on this list, we have internally gotten Jikes RVM
> w/ Classpath to run Eclipse.   This includes all basic functionality,
> except the complete Eclipse debugger.  Also, compiling and running the
> developed Java application is limited to the library functionality of
> Classpath.
>
> As alluded to in the first bullet below, we plan to make this available
in
> the 2.2.1 release, which we hope to get out within a month.   It did
> require some bug fixes to Classpath, which Julian Dolby submitted patches
> for.   (I believe they've either all been incorporated or are close to
> being incoporated by the Classpath team.  Thanks!)

I think we'll have these completed soon enough then.  When complete,
is there anything complicated to try this release with Classpath using
more of the excluded packages?

> Highlights of this release include:
>   + Jikes RVM now mostly uses the GNU Classpath class libraries. All
> library packages except java.lang, java.lang.ref, java.lang.reflect,
> java.io, java.net,  and java.util are from Classpath. We are optimistic
> that release 2.2.1 of Jikes RVM will be based entirely on the GNU
Classpath

--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>