0.05 Update [was Re: 0.05]

From: Brian Jones
Subject: 0.05 Update [was Re: 0.05]
Date: 11 Jan 2003 17:40:09 -0500

Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:

Below is my update on where we're at with the next release.  Comments
welcome.

> For those who aren't aware, gcc is preparing a 3.3 release in a couple
> of months.  I'd like to make a new Classpath release, perhaps in the
> next few weeks, depending on how long it takes to get most of the
> things below accomplished.  So below I borrowed heavily from the
> format of Tom's email to the gcj list earlier.
>
> There are still a number of bugs, patches, etc. I want to have fixed
> or integrated before making a new Classpath release.
>
> My current list:
>
> * Integrate any remaining patches on Savannah as needed.

545     style patch for java.io.File    2002-Sep-29 11:11       mark
620     Locale optimization             2002-Oct-30 20:36       tromey
722     ignore supported timeout...     2002-Nov-26 10:10       mark
728     fixes to sorting arrays         2002-Nov-26 11:08       jewel
805     Make include/jni.h...           2002-Dec-11 09:25       cbj

Regarding patch 805, the last email on the list was a question from me
asking whether the JVM extensions were really needed in this way;
mentioning JVMDI I believe.  If this is needed I'd like to include it
before the next release.  The new JNI functions of 1.4 I should add
anyway.

There may be a few other patches on the list, a URI patch from Dalibor
specifically, to incorporate as well.  Not sure where gnu.regexp is at
with regards to licensing.

> * Fix Classpath bugs found by running Mauve with GCJ, Kissme, ORP, or SableVM.

There is a status page here for GCJ,
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/gcj-3.3-status.html.  I haven't gone through
the errors encountered with running Mauve with Kissme yet though they
are posted on the project web page.

> * Fix FilePermission bugs reported on Mauve mailing list.

Patch from David King needs to be incorporated into Mauve, failures
found in Classpath documented or fixed.

> * Bugs 744, 835, 1190, 1966 (this is all the bugs) on Savannah

And 2105.  A bug in TreeMap.sucessor reported by Dalibor Topic was
fixed by Eric.  Thanks Eric!

> * Import/CVS link in classpathx jaxp.  This includes all files that
>   are part of org.w3c.dom, org.xml.sax, javax.xml, related gnu.* from
>   classpathx jaxp project.

Pinging Nic about this, will import soon.

> * Resolve javax.sound - http://tritonus.org/

Want to try this out and hopefully point users to it.

> * Resolve org.ietf.jgss - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2853.txt

Likely to become a todo item, not preventing release.

> * Resolve the org.omg.* issues and implement whatever we decide.
>   Currently, this is something I need to followup on.
> * Ensure support of GNU Crypto as a full security provider.

Will verify and test this, Mark is most familiar.  Might need to write
some documentation on how to do it.

> * Work with Kissme and JRVM, SableVM, and ORP if possible from the release.

Kissme and JRVM appear likely.  SableVM may come soon after.  I've not
heard anything out of the ORP team in quite a while, but would like to
know if that project is still alive or not.

> * Pass Mauve test suite with 0 FAIL (we need a means of XFAILing tests
>   we know we won't fix).
> * Full javadoc generated by gjdoc available for general consumption.

This task is complete and available from our project web page and also
will be part of the distribution.  There are probably bugs in the
gjdoc output and the copyright on each page isn't quite
right... developers interested in taking on gjdoc or writing 'jar' and
other tools are very much needed.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>