Re: classpath ./ChangeLog gnu/classpath/Configurati...

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: classpath ./ChangeLog gnu/classpath/Configurati...
Date: 18 Jan 2003 13:36:13 -0700

>> * java/awt/Toolkit.java (default_toolkit_name): Use AWT_TOOLKIT.
>> * gnu/classpath/Configuration.java.in (AWT_TOOLKIT): New
>> constant.

Mark> I don't think this is the best way to do this. I would prefer to have
Mark> this constant hardcoded in java.awt.Toolkit (since it is the default
Mark> value for a plain Classpath implementation) and document that VMs that
Mark> use a different default AWT Toolkit implementation must make sure to
Mark> override the awt.toolkit System property. (We should add a method
Mark> addDefaultVMProperties() to java.lang.VMSystem for this.)

I was assuming that, like libgcj, Classpath would eventually have
other peer implementations.  This change is premature in that we don't
have any others right now, but I don't think it makes the code less
clear.  Overriding awt.toolkit internally isn't my preferred solution,
though the only reason is just "the JDK doesn't do it" (not exactly
compelling).

I won't insist though.  I'll back it out later.

Tom