Re: classpath ./ChangeLog gnu/classpath/Configurati...

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: classpath ./ChangeLog gnu/classpath/Configurati...
Date: 19 Jan 2003 20:33:34 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 21:36, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I was assuming that, like libgcj, Classpath would eventually have
> other peer implementations.  This change is premature in that we don't
> have any others right now, but I don't think it makes the code less
> clear.  Overriding awt.toolkit internally isn't my preferred solution,
> though the only reason is just "the JDK doesn't do it" (not exactly
> compelling).

I thought you meant it to be a way for the VM to select which AWT
implementation to select. And if that is the case then I would like to
see one level of indirection (either a System property or a VM method)
to select the desired Toolkit class. If Classpath actually had multiple
implementations this could be a way to select one during configure time
if we wanted that. Currently only specific VMs might have different AWT
implementations and in that case I don't think adding this to
Configure.java.in is a good idea.